Everybody needs a good laugh, and this past weekend I longed for some mad funny bone ticklage. Luckily, a friend recommended and brought over “Dinner for Schmucks” with Steve Carrel, Paul Rudd and a host of other comedic geniuses, and it was just what I needed, reminding me of the importance of comedy.
However, I’m a bit of a hard nut to crack when it comes to humorous movies and books, and it especially takes a lot for a book to make me laugh-out-loud, so I thought I would compile a list, in alphabetical order, of the funniest middle grade, young adult novels, and picture books that passed the test–thus far–and had me rolling.
Funniest Middle Grade and YA
- 15 Minutes, by Steve Young
- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, by Sherman Alexie
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid Series, by Jeff Kinney
- Captain Underpants Series, by Dav Pilkey
- I am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil, and I Want to Be Your Class President, by Josh Lieb
- Roll Up the Streets, by John Bladek
- Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, by Judy Blume
- Wayside School Series, by Louis Sachar
- Whales on Stilts, by M.T. Anderson
Funniest Picture Books
- Baby Brains, by Simon James
- Children Make Terrible Pets, by Peter Brown
- Knuffle Bunny, by Mo Willems
- No, David! by David Shannon
Funniest Adult Titles
- Me Talk Pretty One Day, by David Sedaris
- Sh*t My Dad Says, by Justin Halpern
- Wishful Drinking, by Carrie Fisher
I’m constantly on the lookout for humorous books. So, please, I beg you, if you have any suggestions for these categories that are laugh-out-loud-please-pass-me-a-Depends-funny, please comment!